With the opening week of the college basketball season in the books, it's time to hand out some early season hardware. Each week, we'll select a team and player of the week, in addition to highlighting notable wins and other big-time moments throughout the season. Here's who made this list after Week 1:
Team of the Week
Gonzaga: The No. 1 team lived up to its top billing with wins over Kansas and Auburn in Florida.
Player of the Week
Luka Garza, Iowa: The senior forward, the preseason Big Ten and national player of the year, played two games, averaged 33 points and made 25 of 29 shots.
- Cade Cunningham, Fr., Oklahoma State: 21 points in a win over UT-Arlington
- Jalen Johnson, Fr., Duke: 19 points in a win over Coppin State
- Evan Mobley, Fr., USC: 21 points in an overtime win against Cal Baptist.
- Zach Edey, Fr., Purdue: 19 points in a win over Liberty
- Mac McClung, Jr., Texas Tech (Georgetown): 21 points in a win over Northwestern State.
- Carlik Jones, Gr., Louisville (Radford): 18 points in a win over Evansville.
- Caleb Love, Fr., North Carolina: 17 points in a win over College of Charleston
- Chaundee Brown, Sr., Michigan (Wake Forest): 19 points in a win over Bowling Green.
- Justice Sueing, R-Jr., Ohio State: (Cal) 19 points in a win over Illinois State
- Dawson Garcia, Fr., Marquette: 19 points in a win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
- Jalen Suggs, Fr., Gonzaga: 24 points in a win over Kansas.
Joshua Langford, Michigan State: Back on the court after missing nearly two seasons due to multiple foot injuries, Langford averaged nine points and 23 minutes in two games.
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Villanova: MVP of the 2K Empire Classic with wins over Boston College and Arizona State. He’s ready for a breakout sophomore season.
Shockers of the week
- San Francisco over Virginia at the Mohegan Sun (Uncasville, Conn.).
- Virginia Tech over Villanova in overtime at the Mohegan Sun.
Pepperdine 3OT loss to UCLA in San Diego.
Most impressive wins
- Richmond over Kentucky in Lexington.
- Houston over Texas Tech by 11 in Fort Worth.
- Saint Louis knocks off LSU
- Belmont wins Paradise Jam
- Drake beats Kansas State
- Montana State beats UNLV
- St. Francis (Pa) beats Pitt
- Western Kentucky beats Memphis
Best last-minute scheduling decisions
- San Francisco playing Virginia.
- Virginia Tech playing Villanova.